Saturday, February 21, 2026

Atwan: Iran Negotiates from a Position of Strength and Is Prepared for Every Scenario

Abdel Bari Atwan, prominent Arab writer and political analyst, stated that following the conclusion of the second round of negotiations between Iran and the United States, Tehran continues the path of dialogue while simultaneously demonstrating its military capabilities in the Strait of Hormuz—sending a clear message to Washington that the Islamic Republic is fully prepared for any scenario, from negotiation to confrontation.

According to Taghrib News Agency(TNA), Atwan noted that this round of talks ended similarly to the first round held in Muscat, and future rounds are expected to follow the same pattern. He emphasized that Iran remains the stronger party in this equation and is preparing extensively for any potential U.S. military action.
Atwan explained that while the Iranian negotiating team, led by Seyyed Abbas Araghchi, traveled to Geneva, the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps launched large-scale military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, temporarily closing half of the waterway.
This move, he said, carried a clear message to Washington: Iran is fully prepared for any scenario and possesses not only the capability to close the Strait of Hormuz but also 

the Bab al-Mandab Strait and to deploy naval mines in surrounding waters. In other words, if the United States seeks confrontation, Iran is ready to respond.
The Arab analyst also referred to the recent speech of Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, the Leader of the Islamic Revolution, noting that his clear messages were a firm response to Donald Trump’s threats.
Atwan said the United States has sought to overthrow the Iranian system for 47 years but has failed every time. The Islamic Republic is a powerful state that continues on its path. Uranium enrichment will not stop, and Iran’s missile and defense capabilities—which have shaken the Israeli regime—are internal matters that Tehran will not allow to be included in negotiations.
Atwan highlighted that one of the most important parts of the Leader’s remarks concerned the movement of U.S. warships toward the region. While acknowledging their apparent power, the Leader emphasized that missiles such as the Khorramshahr, capable of destroying these warships and sinking them in regional waters, are far more dangerous than the warships themselves.
According to Atwan, Trump—who previously issued numerous threats and provocative statements against Iran—has been forced to retreat after receiving these clear messages. Trump now says, “If the negotiations fail, it will be a bad day for Iran,” but in reality, he has realized that Iran will never surrender and that any potential war would turn into a regional and attritional conflict that would drain U.S. capabilities.
Atwan also referenced 

comments by Scott Ritter, former UN weapons inspector, who believes that the era of U.S. naval supremacy has irreversibly ended. Ritter questioned why Trump would send such extremely expensive warships to the region—vessels costing billions of dollars that could be destroyed by a $20,000 missile or even a $2,000 drone from Iran or Yemen. Warships that were symbols of power after World War II, he said, have become outdated with modern technological advancements, and their presence now serves more as propaganda than real military advantage.
Atwan added that the United States already has numerous bases in the region, including Al-Udeid in Qatar, as well as bases in the UAE and Bahrain, and therefore does not need such costly displays. In contrast, Iran’s strategy is based on long-term resilience. Tehran does not oppose negotiations, but it has clearly stated that issues such as transferring enriched uranium abroad, missile capabilities, and resistance groups will not be part of the talks, as these matters are integral to Iran’s defense strategy and national security.
He noted that in the event of a full-scale regional war, resistance groups would intervene, imposing heavy costs on the United States. While continuing negotiations, Iran has shown its adversaries that their calculations and threats—including threats of assassinating the country’s highest officials—are strategically flawed.
In conclusion, Atwan stressed that Iran continues its path of progress and development. U.S. attempts to distract the Iranian public through internal unrest have failed. Tehran has also addressed previous gaps in its defense technology—gaps exploited by its adversaries—through various means, including technological cooperation with China and Russia. In his view, events are unfolding according to Iran’s plans, and the Islamic Republic, as in the 12-day conflict, has once again emerged victorious, leaving its enemies frustrated and defeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment